So you have decided to hire a personal injury accident lawyer? When you first meet with a personal injury accident lawyer, here are some questions you can ask them to help you decide about whether or not they will be the best lawyer to represent you and your case. Ask them these questions:
1. What is your expertise in this area of law?
We believe it is important that lawyers have experience in personal injury law matters, whether that be with ICBC cases, slip and fall matters, or other injury claims.
2. Do you have staff within the your law firm dedicated to personal injury matters?
It is important to not only have a lawyer dedicated to your personal injury matter, but it is important to have dedicated and highly-trained support staff assigned to your file matter.
Highly-trained staff assigned to your file ensures that the day-to-day running of your personal injury file goes smoothly. Medical records and opinions get ordered, court filings are made on time, and your file moves towards completion in an efficient and timely manner.
3. Do you work for insurance companies too?
At Hemminger Law Group Westshore we believe it is important to ensure we are on the plaintiff's side 100% of the time. We do not work for insurance companies. Not ever.
Once you sit down with a personal injury accident lawyer, consider if they are a good fit for you. Are they trying to understand how you feel?
Do they seem like they will care for you and what you are going through? If the lawyer you are meeting seems cold and uncaring, do not hire them. There are lawyers out there who are not only awesome at their job of representing clients in the courtroom or negotiation, they can do so in a way that makes their clients feel honoured and cared for throughout the entire process.
Is the lawyer you are interviewing prepared for the interview? Even at an initial interview, the lawyer you are interviewing should be prepared. They should have printed information to give to you. They should already have an idea as to what your claim is about. They will be able to give you some initial information regarding how your claim will proceed.
Did they give you an opportunity to ask the questions you want answered? It is important that a lawyer not only tells you what they know, but that they also make it a priority to understand what is important to you, the client.
Although the best personal injury
accident lawyers will come prepared to your interview, we suggest that you can do the following to get the most of your meeting:
1. Bring all of your documents and information. If you have receipts for out-of-pocket expenses, bring those. If you have your ICBC claim number already, bring that. If you have the information of the driver who hit you, bring that too. If you are off work because of the collision (or other accident), bring in your most recent pay stubs and any third party insurance information.
2. Write down any questions that you have.
3. Be ready to tell the lawyer everything that happened. Everything you tell your lawyer is confidential. For example, if you have a concern that something happened that will hurt your case, tell your lawyer about it and let them know right away. This way your lawyer can deal with it right away and assess your case.
Written by Val Hemminger, lawyer at Hemminger Law Group Westshore